Friday, February 12, 2016

Beginnings

I've never thought of myself as a writer, but here I am typing my thoughts into a computer expecting someone to read and be interested in them.  The very idea.. but this seems to be a good way to communicate with people who are as interested as I am in the families and history of Steele, Alabama.

As I've searched the internet (for ages it seems) I've found precious little about our town.  There are plenty of pictures of Ashville and Pell City, Springville and Odenville, but almost nothing about Steele.  And yet I know about people who lived there and who had a part in shaping my life along with many other lives.  I knew some of them personally and have heard or read about many others.

Years ago I began to collect "data" about the people of Steele.  I hope you don't think that I'm nosy.  (My husband says that I am.)  I just love to know about our families... how they're related to one another, what brought them to Steele of all places, and why do they behave the way that they do sometimes?  I love to know about the churches and schools and civic organizations.  They all influenced my upbringing in the very best of ways.

I'll say it again:  I'm not much of a writer.  I do hope to provide a place where we can share a love of this sweet place that remains so dear to me and to you.  Steele, St. Clair County, Alabama!

4 comments:

  1. Good start, Sharon. My kids have grown up in Steele, and it will be fun to learn about it's history. ~ Wanda G Cline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wanda, for commenting. I hope that others will add their thoughts so that this can be more of a discussion than a one-sided lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandfather was Lawrence Wood on my father's side. I am Janice Wood Robertson, born and raised in Steele AL. I would be interested in anything you find about the Wood family. I still have a lot of Family living in Steele.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know so many Wood descendants, too! So much information... so little time! I'll try to write about the Wood folks soon.

    ReplyDelete