Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I recently received quite a few old photos and it reminded me once again about how important it is to label them CAREFULLY with names.  It breaks my heart to find a wonderful old photo and then have no clue about the names of the people shown.  Some of the pictures were stuck into a photo album with dots of glue.  Even though the albums are beginning to fall apart it is hard to remove the photographs without damaging them.  Sometimes the glue covered information on the back of the picture which might have provided clues to the people or occasion which is represented.  Some pictures had names written in ballpoint pen over the bodies of the people in the picture.  I appreciate the effort at naming, but now we aren't able to look at the clothing and since the names were usually only first names, I still have a hard time figuring them out.  The best examples I have are listed on a separate card and kept with the photo.  I plan to lay out the photo and the listing together and scan them as one file.  That way the photo is not covered or disfigured but the names are easy to associate with faces.

I decided to post a couple today.  One of them is not so old (only about 60 years) and I know many of the names but I will let you have the fun of remembering them and commenting here.  The date on the picture says May 1957 but comparing it to another that's labelled 1955 I believe that one of them is wrong.

The second photo is much older and the only person that I have a clue about is the one with a slight check-mark over her head.  I believe that she is Eunice Modena Beason Buffington, the mother of Vivian Qualls and Madolyn Burttram.  If so, then that would date the photo to around 1900.  I believe that the writing on the back says "S School Group" which could be Singing School or Sunday School.  It might say "A School Group."  I'm guessing that the best chance of identifying one or more of these people would be that someone else has a copy of the photo and it's labelled.  

Now it's time to send me some names!  I'll do my best to label (CAREFULLY) the photos that I have.   You'll have to be responsible for labeling your own, but please do.  

6 comments:

  1. Piano recitals were a real event back then. We always enjoyed Mrs. Qualls's recital and then mother's. Looking back at the photos, it's amazing how many kids took piano lessons. There are about 35 kids in the photo above! For a lot of years mother and Mrs. Qualls both taught piano and I'm sure that 50 or more kids would have been involved during those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recital photo identification so far:
    Row 1 -- John McCord, ?, ?, Sally Buffington, Gerald Morrow, Phil Pope, ?, Shirley Atkins, ?, Sharon Morrow, Linda Nelson, ?
    Row 2 -- ?, Roy Horsley, Wanda Coffey, ?, Gail Brock, Carol Countryman, Memory Hammond, ?, Priscilla Yarbrough, Mary Lackey, Patsy Beason, Linda Romer, Vivian Qualls
    Row 3 -- Ann Woods, ?, ?, ?, Judy Carter, Jimmy Beason, ? Griffith, Donnie Smith, Norma Buffington, ?, ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Row 1, #2 - Judy Beason
      Row 3, #3 - Betty Maddix

      Delete
  3. I imagine John McCord can tell you who everyone is on this picture. John remembers nearly everything!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roy Horsley sent me a message saying that Row 1 #7 is Judy Weldon. Thanks so much, Roy!

    ReplyDelete